Carol's Homeschool Blog

Friday, October 01, 2004

Days 17-20 of the 8th Year of our Adventure!

I can't believe it has been so long since I journaled about our homeschooling!

Well, I finished The Salt Garden. I started at 8 and read until 12. Then, I read it from 2:30 to 4:00 on Tuesday.

Michael still continued to feel sick throughout the week, but we managed to do lots of couch time.

We finished studying John 2! Then, we watched it on DVD. This is such a fun way to study.

We are through the story of Joseph and prayed for the Natchez Indians that were in the St. Louis area.

In history, we continued to be ultra-impressed with the Colonial Life for Children video series. We learned about William Penn and Pennysylvania and The Dutch and New Amsterdam.

We also read about The Sun King of France, Frederick the Great of Prussia, King Philip's (Chief Metacom) War, The French against the Indians in Quebec, and William Penn in The Story of the World/Usborne Encyclopedia of World History. We also read a biography of William Penn in Our American Heritage from Abeka.

For art, we finally caught up to our time period! We are officiallly in the Baroque period in ITA. I realize that there are some pictures in the book that are nudes that I didn't want the kids to see. So, I did skip a couple of pictures.

For music, we are in the Baroque period. So, we listened to Mr. Bach Comes to Call on tape. We haven't quite finished it.

For science, we did another experiment in static electricity by moving small pieces of foil by rubbing a comb with our hair.

For math, Paul started front-end estimation and column addition while Michael started place value.

We wrote our "Flat Freddie" letters that were sent to the Parkers in Louisiana and the Krauses in Wisconsin. Should be fun to find out about their states.

Paul finished up his Rascal copywork. Michael is still working on it since he didn't feel too well all week.

They started their Spanish class on Wednesday and plan on learning their numbers through twenty and colors.

George took them to Spanish and I had the women from my Wednesday bible study over for lentil soup and challah bread. After they left, I brought a loaf to the Hundleys and rode my bike to Laura Gannon's to return her book. We chatted about a half hour about a variety of things. I like her.

Friday was a fun field trip to Philip Foster Farms http://www.endoftheoregontrail.org/fosterfm.html

The boys and the Kinkades ground corn, chopped, sawed, and planed wood, loaded a wagon (and made it across alive), washed on a washboard, wrung in a hand cranked wringer, built a log cabin, watched a blacksmith, went to a trading post, etc. It is a 1846 Oregon homestead. It was a fun and long day. I am bushed!

These were my other activities of the week:

After homeschool on Thursday, I took Kim out for her 34th birthday to tea. I also visited and ate dinner with Teala who just had a root canal. Then I was off to Acts bible study.

Tonight is a CRASH night and we don't have any outside activities tommorrow.

A great week!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home