Carol's Homeschool Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Why do I love this so much?

I have to say that I love to homeschool. I love teaching these boys, and I love learning right along with them.

One thing that is startling me is how much they are enjoying the inductive study in the book of John using the book Jesus in the Spotlight. I was so happy when Paul said, "Aren't we going to do John?" This was music to my ears. They are learning such great skills that will help them in all areas of study. Today we observed all the names of Jesus in John 1.

(As I a side note, I totally enjoyed my inductive study of James this morning!)

We prayed for the Lenape Indians and went to the Mark-It Map to discover where these Indians were located. This led us to read a bit about William Penn in our history. He didn't think the land should just be given to him by the government. He insisted on paying the Lenape for land in Southeastern Pennsylvania.

We also read about the fire and plague in London in the 1600's. We also did some reading about the founding of seven of the thirteen colonies: Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut (Both started by outcasts of the Puritan Massachusetts Colony), New York (Dutch), Pennsylvania (William Penn who believed in treating all people equally), Maryland (Started by Lord Baltimore, a Catholic.) , and Georgia (Started by Ogelthorpe to fend off the Spanish and create a colony for poor people. We did some geography work on the thirteen colonies also.

Michael received a 93% on his first spelling test, and Paul opted to do journal writing and proofreading practice instead of his "Write on Your Own" in his spelling practice. He journaled about "Why I like Nintendo."

We also had grammar. I love Daily Grams. Such a no-fuss, effective approach to grammar.

We opted out of science today and will be getting science exposure on our first field trip to the Gilbert House Kids Museum for their "Not Back to School Days" festivities.

Orthodontist, WinCo, Library hold pick-up, bank run, and millk pick up rounded out our fun day today.

After this, we did some serious Math. Maybe an hour and 15 minutes or so.

Michael finished another Ramona book last night for bedtime. He is Ramona Quimby, Age 8. Paul is in a Dr. Seuess phase right now with The Cat's Quizzer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home